Monday, February 13, 2006

Quite a contrast....

hcnsa_rest snowride

While my friends in the Mid-Atlantic were pummeled with a foot of snow, the South-West was warm and pleasant. The Mojo's from Austin and San Antonio decided to make a journey to the Hill Country State Natural Area in Bandera TX, for a little ride, bacon consumption, and a little hair of the dog from the night before. Turned out to be a pretty good sized group, I believe around a dozen or so with only one other single speeder in the group Susan, who made me look like a whimp by gearing herself 32x16 to my 32x17... Thanks Susan! There was plenty of sessioning due to crazy rocky terrain, and plenty of climbing. This ride makes the usual Government Canyon ride a real snooze festival. I can't wait to try this ride on some big wheels!

My overall performance was pretty lame, I have to admit. I started out pretty good and was the third in line, but no more than 100 yards into the first climb and I spun out. I didn't see the front of the pack for the rest of the afternoon, and fell to the back with Susan the other SS pretty soon there after. I felt really sluggish by mid day and by the time Kathy called to check in, I was pretty well spent. I think a lack of riding due to parental duties coupled with work obligations are really taking a toll on me both physically and mentally. I need to find a way to balance it out a bit more, and as I was going home yesterday I thought of Triathletes. How do they manage to fit it all in? Most are dealing with all the same things I am, yet they find or make the time to not only bike, but swim and run. Looks like I need to either win the lotto, or start waking up early and taking advantage of the mini gym in the neighborhood. More to come...

No comments: