Friday, August 01, 2008

Thursday night social ride....

.... July was a tough month for me work wise. I haven't been this stressed out in years, at least not due to work. I finished up the month well, so I decided to treat myself to a social ride with the San Antonio Mojo's. I went early for the dirt ride, and was a little concerned since I was on the fixie again. This is a social ride, but the pace was good... not break neck speed, but not really slouching. I got a good workout in, and only had minor issues in the tight twisties which is more a bar being too wide for the trail thing. From the dirt social, we all meet up and head out for the pub crawl. I did reasonably well here until we hit a long downhill, which forced me to slow way down also making the transition back uphill a little exhausting. I hit the Mix, threw back a few cold ones, and decided to call it a night early-ish. I got home around 10, which is unheard of for me on one of these social rides, but it was enough of a ride, and I got to see some folks I haven't seen in months. Good ride, good people, these are the memories I'll take away from this place when it's time to move on.

I was impressed with the fixies performance, the more I ride the more I like being fixed. I'm learning how to adjust my body more for the terrain, but haven't really picked up the rear wheel hop thing just yet, I'm sure I look much like a smash'm up derby car just plowing into things. I am learning how to time my approach a little better, and have a general feeling for where the pedals will be at most objects. The multiple hops or drops are still a challenge and the random pedal strike is a sobering reminder that you can never stop paying attention on a fixie

No comments: