Monday, March 13, 2006

Hot & Hard....

Well, 3/14 is my official last day at work. That said Alan from Mojo called a ride for Friday 3/10 at Flat Rock or Comfort. Who am I to say no, and how could I resist. I had only ridden there once before, on the Gunnar, and had a pretty nasty wipe out, but really enjoyed the terrain. I met Alan at the underpass of 1604 & 10 and we carpooled out in his Saab-aru (might very well be my next vehicle).

I should have known it was going to be a bad day, we were having guests that day and I had to scramble to help "clean" the house before I left. Then I couldn't find my insurance card or ID. I decided to pick up some breakfast taco's since Alan was good enough to drive, I was in a hurry and ordered a dozen mixed variety, only to get a bag of six... damn drive through! We got to the parking lot and things were going well enough, I coughed up $12 for Alan and I, since again he was good enough to drive and lead the ride.

We started out the ride and things were fine. The niner was climbing well enough and Alan was on his super bling Ibis SS. I have been trying out the JJones H-bar, and can honestly say I'm not loving it (sorry Ricky). My hands have been going numb mid way through my rides, I'm still going to play with it a bit though. Maybe a different stem. About half way through the ride we got to the top of a ridge. I hadn't been feeling very strong and it was hotter than hell. I think I finished off my 22 oz. water bottle about 3/4 of the way through the ride and was dying. I was also in quite a bit of pain due to not having any insoles in my shoes (I take them out for the winter in order to fit thicker socks). At the end of the upper loop ~ 9 miles, I was done. The course is a figure 8 so I thought I'd tough it out, hook up with some more water and do the second part of the course as to not disappoint Alan. I killed a 16 oz water, then started drinking my 20 oz reserve. Man, this Texas sun & heat will be the death of me! Alan pulled out some grub and cold suds as I panted like a dog in summer. We chowed down, drank the fosty cold beverages and I was toast.

I think I need to get into the gym more often, hell at least 3 times a week, and I need to start running. I'm in really bad shape and need to build my base back up. I'm also going to have to get some new shoes, or at least some new insoles for the sidi's. I went to visit los on Saturday to hook up with an Ignitor and to let him borrow the Jones bar. For now I'm going back to the carbon risers to see if I'm more comfortable. I'll give them a week and then try out the Mary's. Should be a cool experiement. Oh, if you happen to read this and want to donate any old stems to me (face plat has to be removable) shoot me a note ;o)

~B

No comments: