Wednesday, November 19, 2008

GPS/HRM....?....

... so I've been doing a lot of running and getting out more. The guy who's been helping me get in shape suggested I get a HRM. I used to have an old Polar, but it's gone missing or is somewhere that I can't remember at the moment. In any case I started looking and thinking about electronic toys. I'm already way behind the curve and need a new digi cam, but maybe Santa will bring that if I'm good. So now the HRM comes up. I can get a cheap one from a mega-mart type place cheap, but I've also been thinking about a GPS type unit since I'd like to start exploring more of Austin's off road and don't want to constantly rely on others... so what I'd like is a GPS with up loadable maps and a HRM. The Garmin Edge 705 looks like it would fit the bill, but is quite pricey and bulky for off the bike jaunts. The Garmin Forerunner 305 will give me the HRM and down loadable GPS, and will work if I'm lost to get me back to the beginning, but lacks the ability to upload maps. So then I start thinking maybe a GPS and an inexpensive HRM. I like the DeLorme PN-20 (free maps) and since a new model is scheduled to launch any second they can be had used for under $150...

So to those who are GPS/HRM gadget geeks speak up.

The DeLorme PN-20 I'm thinking about

3 comments:

tomek said...

just go for 705, training functions are the same or better them polars. U cant go wrong with 705. It's not a gps only it's a high model of polar with gps and mapping functionality. IMHO the best training assistant on the market right now.

DT said...

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA%3FSubscriptionId%3D02E5W5871AJF7PMMMS82%26tag%3Dgpsdeals-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB000CSWCQA

Forerunner 305 with HR monitor for $150...

But yea, the 705 is nice!

ArmySlowRdr said...

you get your gps?

the edge 305 is nice--i got one when they were practically first out on E bay for rather a hefty discount from probably some shady outfit--but it has never given me an iota of trouble.

i would thnk there would be some deals on remaining 305s?? but who knows.