Saturday, June 10, 2006

Heat!

So this is our first "summer" in Texas. The first thing people tell you when you move from anywhere to anywhere else is that it's different. I got the speach from everyone under the sun about how hot it is in Texas. Well, I thought to myself, at least it's not humid. Being from DC & the east coast it's humid as hell. So I think to myself well 90 with 100% humidity is hot, how bad can 104 with almost no humidity be? Well, let me tell you, it's HOT, and not only hot but the sun is brutally intense. It's flesh scaldingly hot. I now know why "cowboys" wear those silly hats. Wow, if you're thinking of moving to Texas, do yourself a favor and come visit in June or July, you might think twice. I'm told by other transplants that I'll get used to the heat. I don't know about that. It's not so much the heat, but rather how intense the sun is. Plus it never seems to end, even on rainy days the sun is out. It's like living on another planet.

That's it for now, I'm off to feed the dogs and sneak out for a ride at my favorite trail.

1 comment:

Your Name Here said...

"But its a dry heat." BWahahahahahahaahahahahahaha I love that line.

Around here we say, "But its a moist heat." DC geeks LOVE humidity jokes. We think we're very funny. At least I think we are. ;)

Boberto, I hate to say it, but you probably will get used to it. I grew up in Colorado. I go back every summer. Any temps in the 100s is hot for sure, but it is easy for me to tell the difference after spending time here and in Colorado.

We were in Moab and Fruita in 2001 and we had days that were 110 with 6% humidity. It was damn hot and we sure as hell drank a ton of water. When we got home, it was 107 with 88% humidity. That sucked 1000 times worse.

I know you're feeling it. I think you'll eventually adjust to the dry. It took me years to adjust to the damp. My gills have fully evolved now which comes in handy when winter sets in and I'm doing laps in the pool. :D

Have a great weekend. Keep the rubber side down.

PEte